Mined as a gemstone for an estimated four thousand years or more, peridot occurs as a range of olive greens, from yellowish green to brownish green. The intensity and tint of the green depends upon unique combinations of inclusions in the crystal structure. Iron, magnesium, nickel and chromium each have a role to play in the appeal of the stones, formed as a result of volcanic activity.
Peridot stones carry the fire of their birth with them, flashing brilliantly and reminding us of the mighty power of nature.
• Finding them glittering in black volcanic sand, the Hawaiians named the stone ”Tears of Pele”, for their Goddess of fire and volcanoes.
• Reputed to be the favourite gem stone of Egypt’s most famous ruler, Cleopatra.
• It is said Egyptian rulers and their high priests drank sacred elixirs from cups cut from single large peridot stones, believing this would draw them closer to the power of Isis, Goddess of Nature.
Working with nature to promote life, this stone counteracts negativity –
• Bringing clarity to replace confusion by opening the mind to new positive possibilities
• Stimulating the body to regenerative tissue growth.
• Cleansing and healing hurt feelings, helping to mend damaged relationships
• Supporting the nervous system and promoting good sleep
These briolette cut drop earrings are set in 22 karat gold, hanging delicately at the end of sinuously linked S curves.
From the Mod collection by Nagicia, this 3 in 1 ring in sterling silver pairs the skill of the Indonesian craftsmen with the beauty of the stones : 5 square faceted peridot stones in an intricate channel setting, each stone butted against the other.
Gemstones are crystal structures that focus energies, connecting the wearer with the power of nature. Amplifying the forces of growth and regeneration and reflecting the quality of clarity, the peridot has much to offer it’s owner.